Saint Petersburg Stieglitz State Academy of Art and Design
St. Petersburg Stieglitz State Academy of Art and Design is one of the most famous educational establishments of this kind throughout Russia. Academy was created in January 1876, according to the ordinance of Alexander II. The money was donated by baron Stieglitz (1814-1844), a banker and industrialist. At that time the growing Russian industry set a task of training artists capable to design consumer goods competitive at the world market. This School has cultivated a galaxy of artists and designers for industry who set trends in search of aesthetically valuable forms of architecture, monumental, decorative and applied arts and design. Graduates of the Academy have made a considerable contribution to the development of the country’s material culture.